top of page


Travelling – Accessibility – Public

By Airplane

Jena does not have a domestic or international airport but is easily reached by train from Erfurt, Leipzig or Berlin, and is serviced at least half-hourly. If you do not come by car, a trip with the high-speed Intercity Express (ICE) train from a number of airports is inevitable.

Airport    Erfurt-Weimar               (~60 km)

Airport    Leipzig-Halle                  (100 km)

Airport    Prague (Czechia)            (250 km)

Airport    Berlin Tegel                    (250 km)

Airport    Berlin Schönefeld          (260km)

Airport    Frankfurt a.M                (307 km)

Please note that although some airports seem far away, it might actually be that you will travel faster to Jena due to a more frequent, direct or faster ICE connection.

By Train

All airports are directly serviced by Deutsche Bahn and/or affiliates, metro or tram - and all scheduling can be checked on the Deutsche Bahn site.


With several regional and intercity train stations, and extensive east-west and north-south connections, Jena is easily accessible by train. Travel is relatively fast and takes approximately 0:41 h from Erfurt, 1:05 h from Leipzig, 2:22 h from Berlin, 3:09 h from Frankfurt a.M., 3:10 h from München.

Jena Paradiesbahnhof station            North-south connection                                                            InterCity station

Jena Westbahnhof station                  East-west-connection (Chemnitz-Kassel-Aachen line)         InterRegio station, Elster Saale Bahn

Jena-Göschwitz station                       Railway junction in the south of Jena

Saalbahnhof station                            North-south connection                                                             RegionalExpress, Elster Saale Bahn

DB Travel Service / Deutsche Bahn: tel: +49 (0)180 599 6633 (travel service) | +49 (0)800 150 7090 (free from German landlines) |

Erfurter Bahn (Elster Saale Bahn): tel: +49 (0)361 7420 7250 |

Abellio: travel service at Jena-Göschwitz train station |

Although English words may be entered into the Deutsche Bahn connection finder, the results are sometimes confusing. Please use the following for: Main train station=Hauptbahnhof=hbf; train station=Bahnhof or S-Bahnhof; stop (for train, tram and metro)=Haltestelle; airport=Flughafen.


IC, ICE and major train stations are generally barrier-free. However, some regional trains and smaller stations might not be. Deutsche Bahn provides assistance to disabled travellers if this is arranged before travelling.


Please contact Deutsche Bahn's mobility service ahead of travelling via:

Tel. +49 (0)180 6 512 512

Bahn's mobility service: click here (page in German only)

By Car

Jena can be reached via motorways:


A9         (Rostock - Munich)

A4         (Dresden-Eisenach-Frankfurt a. M.)

Jena is situated near the intersection of two major motorways, the A9 Rostock-Munich, running north to south, and the A4 Dresden-Eisenach-Frankfurt am Main, which runs east to west. The city has two junctions, Jena-Zentrum and Jena-Göschwitz, that provide direct access to the A4 Dresden-Eisenach-Frankfurt am Main. Access to the A9 Berlin-Nuremberg is via the nearby Hermsdorfer Kreuz intersection. Other main roads leading to Jena are the B88 Naumburg–Jena–Rudolstadt and the B7 Eisenach-Erfurt-Weimar-Jena-Eisenberg.

Although there is no speed limit on German motorways, local speed limits do exist. Be aware that when involved in an accident, you automatically share the blame when travelling at speeds exceeding the recommended 130 km/h even if you did not cause the accident (Oberlandesgericht Koblenz Az. 12 U 313/13). 

How to reach the venue

Venue address: 

Carl-Zeiss-Promenade 2

07745 Jena, Germany

Tel.: +49 (0) 3641 / 205 0  


Ways to the Ernst-Abbe-University-of-Applied-Sciences Jena: 


Rail road: 

From the station "Jena Paradies" walk towards the city center "Stadtzentrum" (5 min.), take the bus (numbers 10, 11, 12 or13) in the direction "Beutenberg / Ammerbach / Winzerla until the stop "Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule". 


From the station "Jena West" walk under the Railroad bridge and then either on foot  left the "Otto-Schott" street upward (10 min) or by bus (numbers 10, 11, 12 oder 13) until the stop "Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule". 

By car: 


From the direction of motorway A4 

Exit at "Jena-Göschwitz": follow the main street towards city center "Stadtzentrum", turn left on the left traffic-light crossing towards "Carl-Zeiss-Promenade". 

Exit at "Jena-Lobeda": follow the main street towards city center "Stadtzentrum" until exit "Burgau", then pass the "Burgaupark" towards "Carl-Zeiss-Promenade" and the "Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena". 


From the direction of the traffic A-road B7

From "Eisenberg" follow the direction  "Weimar", at "Fürstengraben" turn left at the second ttraffic-light crossing towards city center "Stadtzentrum", continue straight along the postal office on the main road; 

From "Weimar": carry on until "Fürstengraben", then turn right and continue from "Eisenberg".


From the direction of the traffic A-road B88

From the direction "Saalfeld": as from Exit at "Jena-Göschwitz".

From the direction "Naumburg": first take the main street towards "Weimar", then turn left at "Fürstengraben" and continue as for B7 (Eisenberg). 


By long-distance bus: ​

From the bus station "Jena ZOB" walk to the city center "Stadtzentrum" (5 min.), take the bus (numbers 10, 11, 12 or13) in the direction "Beutenberg / Ammerbach / Winzerla until the stop "Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule". 

Travel and Health Insurance

As a part of a visa application, individuals must have travel-health insurance for the duration of their stay in the E.U.. This insurance can be obtained from any approved insurer. Individuals need to check with the responsible embassy/consulate for a list of approved insurers available in their country.

Individuals must have insurance for their entire stay in the E.U. and therefore are encouraged to ensure and pay for the correct number of days. The visa will only be given for the dates that are covered by the insurance policy, which need to relate to the travel dates.

When traveling within the E.U. for holidays, business, studies, etc., E.U. citizens are entitled to any necessary medical treatment and have the same rights to health care as people insured in the country they are in. Please apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in order to provide proof that you are insured in an EU country. If you don't have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), or you can't use it (for instance, for private health care), you can't be refused treatment, but you might have to pay for your treatment upfront and claim reimbursement once you get home. Please note that the EHIC will not help you with rescue and repatriation - if you need free transport back home after falling seriously ill or after having an accident while visiting another EU country, you will need separate insurance cover (usually included in a separate travel insurance policy). 

The UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) lets you get state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free. If you have a UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) it will be valid until the expiry date on the card. Once it expires, you’ll need to apply for a GHIC to replace it.

For further information and if you are a U.K. (Brexit) or Ukrainian citizens, please see the UK government and European Union's Information websites.

A separate travel insurance is advised, since these will not only cover the costs of repatriation, but also loss or theft of goods, or extra travel/hotel costs due to force majeure. Please ensure that you have the appropriate travel insurance before attending the conference, since the conference organizers and ICON/Exxilon/IPHT will not be held liable (this also applies to invited speakers and exhibitors/advertisers).

Travel Health Insurance
Visa Requirements


Immigration – Visa requirements
Schengen area – World – Brexit


EU and EFTA citizens and their family members​

  • Citizens of EU and EFTA countries must present valid personal identification, an ID card or a passport. No visa required.

  • Regardless of their citizenship, family members of EU and EFTA citizens must present a valid passport and they must have a specific residence permit from a Schengen country (no visa required). Otherwise a visa must be obtained.


  • EU Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

  • EFTA Countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland.

  • Schengen Countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

Rest of the world

Citizens of the UK

  • A valid travel passport is required abiding by  Schengen area passport requirements. UK citizens can travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training. Please check the UK government's site.

Citizens of the US and Canada

  • A valid travel passport is required. No visa required for stays of up to 90 days.

Third-Country Nationals


  • A valid travel passport is required and in some cases a visa must be obtained prior to entering Germany. For more information, check the column "Visa regulations" for your country in the "Overview of visa requirements/exemptions for entry into the Federal Republic of Germany" from the Federal Foreign Office.

  • Please be aware of the possibility to apply for a Schengen visa, which covers short‑term stays in the Schengen area of the EU not exceeding 90 days in any 180‑day period.


bottom of page